Preserving our heritage in Casablanca
Keen to contribute to preserving the historic city centre's Art Deco architectural heritage, Societe Generale Maroc is rebuilding the Bank's former head offices whilst preserving the building's façade.
In 1923, Societe Generale moved out of its Casablanca branch on Rue des Consuls, which it had occupied since it first arrived in Morocco in 1913, and moved into new premises on Boulevard Mohammed V. The Bank thus acquired an impressive building designed by Edmond Gourdain, the architect also behind the Transatlantique hotel.
A four-floor building with a surface area of 3,126 m², this edifice was one of the first buildings in the new city. It housed the headquarters of our Moroccan subsidiary, Societe Generale Maroc, before these offices were transferred to Boulevard Abdelmoumen in 1979.
Given the metal beams' advanced state of oxidation, which meant there was no possibility of restoring the floors, Societe Generale has opted for the only identified solution, which is to completely reconstruct the building whilst implementing innovative solutions enabling the building's façade, part of Casablanca's architectural heritage, to be preserved.